Powered by Tweeted Trips

Thursday 23 February 2012

Why RoadPeace?

I would be lying if I said my main motivation for cycling from Land's End to John O'Groats is an altruistic desire to make the world a better place. It's not like I'm putting myself through something unpleasant in order to warrant sponsorship - at least I'm hoping I won't find it too unpleasant! My motivation is the enjoyment and challenge of completing the ride but, having decided to do the ride, I wanted to make use of it to raise a bit of money and awareness for a good cause.

Whilst I was considering various charities one of my Wheelers clubmates mentioned the Team Townend Pushbike Challenge, a ride run in memory of his nephews Christian and Niggy Townend who were killed when out cycling. The event raises money for RoadPeace, a charity for road crash victims. Reading up about the charity left me in no doubt that this was a cause I wanted to support.

Every day most of us use the roads, whether it's driving, catching a bus, cycling or simply walking to the shops and, sadly, every day people lose their lives on them. This is brought home to me when hearing about people like Christian & Niggy or Lewis Balyckyi, a young Preston cyclist also killed last year when out on a training ride.

Many more are seriously injured, such as my brother who was left in intensive care by a driver who lost control of her car. I myself was lucky to escape injury when another driver drove her car into the side of me. So supporting road crash victims, campaigning for justice for victims and campaigning for reduced road danger are causes that are close to my heart.

When it comes to giving money to charity I understand that for many people it is a very personal thing. Everyone is free to give as much or as little to whichever charity they choose and it is often hard to decide who deserves your money the most. But I would be really grateful if you could take a moment or two to have a look at the RoadPeace website and if you are thinking of giving to charity then please consider sponsoring my ride for RoadPeace.

Thanks,
Alan


Fundraiser profile page - BT MyDonate:
https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/alangibsonlejog

No comments:

Post a Comment